April 10, 2011: Mark 10:32-45, Told for Younger Children
April 04, 2011 Length: 3:06
One time, our Lord Jesus told His disciples that when they went to Jerusalem, many sad things would happen to Him. He told them that He would die, and after three days, He would rise again.
James and John came to talk to Jesus. They asked Him to do something for them. “What do you want Me to do?” He asked.
“We want you to let us sit right beside You, in the special seats on your left and right, when you are in Your glory,” they answered.
Jesus said, “Before that happens, all three of us will have hard things happen to us. It is not my job to say who will sit right beside me, anyway.”
When the other disciples heard what James and John had asked, they were very mad. Jesus called them over and said, “You know that earthly rulers act so important and use their power to show off. But it should not be that way with my followers. Any of you that wants to be great should be a servant. Whoever wants to be important should serve everyone else. Even I did not come to be served, but to serve others, and to give My life to save many people.”
Here are some questions about the Gospel story:
1. What did Jesus tell the disciples about his death? We read this Gospel in Lent to remind us that soon we will be experiencing Great and Holy Friday, and
2. James and John told Jesus what they wanted. What did they want?
3. Was it Jesus who would choose who sat at his right and at his left?
4. Why were the other disciples mad at James and John?
5. Do you like when other kids try to be more important than you? Why or why not?
6. Jesus told the disciples about how some rulers act. What did he say?
7. Since we are God’s people, do we make others wait on us, or do we serve others?
8. Are we better than everyone else, or equal?
"I love your station. It is educational and informative. I was tired of hearing other "Christian Radio," which did not have the same values and beliefs. Now I do not have to turn the radio off when I hear something that is hard to swallow. I absolutely enjoy your station and download all of the Ancient Faith Today programs. God Bless you, and keep it up!"