April 14, 2013: Mark 9:17-31, Told for Younger Children
April 08, 2013 Length: 3:09
One time, a man came and knelt down in front of our Lord Jesus Christ. He said, “Teacher, I have brought my son to you to be healed. He has a bad spirit that makes him fall and get hurt. I asked your disciples to heal him, but they could not.”
Jesus said, “Bring him to Me.”
They brought the boy to Jesus. As soon as the spirit saw Jesus, it made the boy fall down and roll around on the ground. Jesus asked the boy’s father how long this had been happening.
He answered, “Since he was little! Sometimes the spirit has thrown him into the fire or into water, to hurt him. If you can do anything, please help us!”
Jesus answered, “If you believe, anything can happen!”
Right away the father began to cry and said, “Lord, I believe. Help me when I do not believe.”
So Jesus told the bad spirit to come out of the boy, and to never come back. The spirit left, and the boy lay very still. Everyone around him thought the boy was dead. But Jesus took his hand and helped him get up. He was healed!
Later, the disciples asked Jesus why they couldn’t heal the boy. He told them that healing like this could only happen with prayer and fasting.
1. Who wanted to see Jesus? Why?
2. The father wasn’t sure Jesus could heal the boy. Jesus told him, “If you believe, anything can happen.” Jesus wanted the man to trust Him, so that He could heal his boy. Did the father then trust Jesus?
3. Jesus healed the boy, and then helped him to walk.
4. The disciples asked why they couldn’t heal the boy. What two things did Jesus tell them they needed?
5. Fasting helps us to be closer to God. Fasting prepares us to do His work.
"I would like to express my thanks for this wonderful website. May God, with the blessings of the Virgin Mary, guide your life and efforts to spread to the world the light of Orthodoxy."