Let Us Attend:
At that time, Jesus took his twelve disciples, and began to tell them what was to happen to him, saying, “Behold, we are going up to Jerusalem; and the Son of man will be delivered to the chief priests and the scribes, and they will condemn him to death, and deliver him to the Gentiles; and they will mock him, and scourge him, and spit upon him, and kill him; and after three days he will rise again.”
And James and John, the sons of Zeb’edee, came forward to him, and said to him, “Teacher, we want you to do for us whatever we ask of you.” And Jesus said to them, “What do you want me to do for you?” And they said to him, “Grant us to sit, one at your right hand and one at your left, in your glory.” But Jesus said to them, “You do not know what you are asking. Are you able to drink the cup that I drink, or to be baptized with the baptism with which I am baptized?” And they said to him, “We are able.” And Jesus said to them, “The cup that I drink you will drink; and with the baptism with which I am baptized, you will be baptized; but to sit at my right hand or at my left is not mine to grant, but it is for those for whom it has been prepared.”
And when the ten heard it, they began to be indignant of James and John. And Jesus called them to him and said to them, “You know that those who are supposed to rule over the Gentiles lord it over them, and their great men exercise authority over them. But it shall not be so among you; but whoever would be great among you must be your servant, and whoever would be first among you must be servant of all. For the Son of man also came not to be served but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many.”
1. At the beginning of this Gospel, Jesus gives his 12 disciples a “heads up.” Where does He say they are going? What does He warn them will happen there?
2. Right away, James and John say something to Jesus. What do they say?
3. How did the other disciples react to James and John’s request?
4. Jesus reminds the disciples that worldly rulers act more important than their subjects. How does He say it should be among His followers?
5. Did Jesus Himself come to Earth to be served or to serve others?
6. Today you will have chances to serve others. Will you think of yourself and what you want, or like Jesus, will you serve others with love?