One day, our Lord Jesus Christ came into a village. His friend Martha was there, and she invited Him to come into her house. Martha’s sister, whose name was Mary, was there, too. Mary loved to sit at Jesus’ feet and listen to Him when He was teaching people about God and God’s ways, so this time, she sat right there and listened.
Martha was so busy cooking and serving Jesus and the others. She did not think it was fair that Mary just sat there while she worked and worked. She said to Jesus, “Don’t you care that my sister just sits there and listens, and leaves me to do all of the work? Will you please tell her to help me?!?”
Our Lord Jesus said to Martha, “Oh, Martha, you worry about so many things. Only one thing is really important. Your sister Mary has chosen that one thing, and it will not be taken away from her!”
When Jesus said this, a woman in the crowd shouted out, “The lady who is Your mother is really blessed! She got to carry You and feed You!”
When Jesus heard this, he said to the woman, “Even more blessed are people who hear the word of God and keep it!”
1. What are the names of the sisters who lived in the village that Our Lord Jesus visited?
2. This time, when He visited, what did the sisters do? Did Martha like what Mary did? Why or why not?
3. Did you ever have to do chores while your brother or sister or friend got to do something you thought was more fun? What did you do about it?
4. Do you think Martha was happy about what Jesus told her about Mary? Why or why not?
5. Who did Jesus say is really blessed?
6. Ask your priest, parents, God parents, or Sunday Church School Teachers how they listen to God’s word and keep it. They will give you some ideas so that you can do it, too!