Let Us Attend:
The Lord spoke this parable, “The kingdom of heaven may be compared to a king who wished to settle accounts with his servants. When he began the reckoning, one was brought to him who owed him ten thousand talents; and as he could not pay, his lord ordered him to be sold, with his wife and children and all that he had, and payment to be made. So the servant fell on his knees, imploring him, ‘Lord, have patience with me, and I will pay you everything.’ And out of pity for him the lord of that servant released him and forgave him the debt.
“But that same servant, as he went out, came upon one of his fellow servants who owed him a hundred denarii; and seizing him by the throat he said, ‘Pay what you owe.’ So his fellow servant fell down and besought him, ‘Have patience with me, and I will pay you.’ He refused and went and put him in prison till he should pay the debt.
“When his fellow servants saw what had taken place, they were greatly distressed, and they went and reported to their lord all that had taken place. Then his lord summoned him and said to him, ‘You wicked servant! I forgave you all that debt because you besought me; and should not you have had mercy on your fellow servant, as I had mercy on you?’ And in anger his lord delivered him to the jailers, till he should pay all his debt. So also my heavenly Father will do to everyone of you, if you do not forgive your brother from your heart.”
1. Who owed the king ten thousand talents (a lot of money)? Could he pay up?
2. What should have happened to the man who owed 10,000 talents? What did happen?
3. How did that servant respond to his fellow servant who owed him a hundred denarii (a little bit of money)? What did he do next?
4. What did the fellow servants do about it? When the king heard, what did he do?
5. Why did Jesus tell this parable? What do you think He wants us to learn from it?
6. Sometimes it is easier to see the sins someone else commits than our own sins. The man in this parable didn’t forgive as he should have. What about you? Pray and ask God to show you when you need to forgive.