August 26, 2012: Matthew 19:16-26, Read for Older Children
August 20, 2012 Length: 3:21
At that time, a young man came to Jesus, kneeling before him and saying, “Good Teacher, what good deed must I do, to have eternal life?”
And Jesus said to him, “Why do you call me good? There is no good but One, and that is God. If you would enter life, keep the commandments.”
He said to Jesus, “Which?” And Jesus said, “You shall not kill, You shall not commit adultery, You shall not steal, You shall not bear false witness, Honor your father and mother, and, You shall love your neighbor as yourself.”
The young man said to Jesus, “All these I have observed from my youth; what do I still lack?”
Jesus said to him, “If you would be perfect, go, sell what you possess and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow me.” When the young man heard this he went away sorrowful; for he had great possessions.
And Jesus said to his disciples, “Truly, I say to you, it will be hard for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven. Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God.”
When the disciples heard this they were greatly astonished, saying, “Who then can be saved?”
But Jesus looked at them and said to them, “With men this is impossible, but with God all things are possible.”
1. What did the young man want to know? What did he ask Jesus?
2. What did Jesus say he should “keep”?
3. How many of the ten commandments can you name? How many of them can you obey?
4. How many did the young man say he kept?
5. What did Jesus say he must do, to be perfect? Do you think the young man did that? Why or why not?
6. Jesus used the metaphor of a camel going through the eye of a needle to illustrate how hard it is for what to happen?
7. What did Jesus say to calm the disciples’ fears about who can enter the kingdom of God?
"I am listener of Ancient Faith Radio for little over two years now. I cannot thank you enough for the wonderful podcasts you put up throughout the year! They are so very educational and informative and they have and continue to change my life! I started listening to Ancient Faith Radio as a Protestant, and through your ministry, I am now a full member of the Holy Orthodox Church! Glory to Jesus Christ! Glory Forever! "