August 26, 2012: Matthew 19:16-26, Told for Younger Children
August 20, 2012 Length: 3:23
One day, a young man came to see our Lord Jesus Christ. The young man knelt before Jesus and asked Him, “Good Teacher, what good thing must I do, to have eternal life?”
Jesus said, “Why do you call Me good? The only good one is God. If you want to really live, keep the commandments.”
The young man asked Jesus which commandments he should keep, and Jesus answered, “Do not kill, do not commit adultery, do not steal, do not lie, honor your father and mother, and love your neighbor as you love yourself.”
The young man said to Jesus, “I have been keeping these commandments ever since I was young. What am I missing?”
Jesus said, “If you really want to do what is right, go sell what you have and give it to poor people. Then, your treasure will be in heaven. Then, come and follow me!”
When the young man heard that, he left. He was very sad. He had so many things and he loved them all.
Then Jesus said to his disciples, “It will be hard for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven. It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter God’s kingdom.”
When the disciples heard this, they wondered who could really be saved! Jesus looked at them and said, “With men, this seems like it can not happen. But, with God, anything can happen!”
1. What did the young man want to know, when he came to see Jesus?
2. What did Jesus tell him he should do?
3. How many of God’s commandments do you know? Are you obeying them, like the young man did?
4. The young man thought he was still missing something. What did Jesus tell him to do? Did the young man want to do it?
5. Do you have favorite clothes, toys, or pets? Would you be willing to share them with someone else? Why or why not?
6. Pray, and ask God to help you to love Him and his kingdom more than even your FAVORITE things. He will help you, because “with God, anything can happen!”
"I have recently become a widow, and since Church for me is only Saturday Vespers and Sunday Liturgy, it's so very helpful, especially being back at work in the world, to be able to hear and read of holiness throughout the day. Ancient Faith Radio has been such a great comfort, and I thank my godmother for finding it for me. God bless."