August 28, 2011: Matthew 18:23-35, Told for Younger Children
August 22, 2011 Length: 3:33
One day, our Lord Jesus Christ told this parable. (A parable is a story with a special meaning.)
“The Kingdom of Heaven is like a king who wanted to settle things up with his servants. One servant was brought to him. This man owed the king lots of money, but could not pay it. The king said that the man, his wife and children, and all that they had, needed to be sold to pay back what he owed.
“But the servant fell to his knees and begged the king, ‘Be patient! I will pay back everything!’”
“The king felt sorry for the man and let him go. He even said the man didn’t have to pay back the money.
“When the servant left there, he saw another servant. This man owed him a few coins. The first servant grabbed the second one by the throat and said, ‘Pay me what you owe me!’
“The second servant begged, ‘Be patient with me. I will pay you!’ But the first servant threw the second one in jail until he could pay his debt.
“All the other servants saw what happened and told the king. The king called in his servant. He said, ‘You are bad! I forgave you your debt when you asked me to. You should have had mercy on your friend.’ And he sent the servant to jail until he could pay what he owed.”
Our Lord Jesus said that it is the same for us. God has forgiven all our many sins, and because of that, we must forgive those around us for their few sins.
1. In the story, there is a man who owed money to a king. He didn’t he have the money to give back to the king. What did he say to the king?
2. Did the king get mad, or did he have mercy on the man?
3. When do you hear the word “mercy” in church? We are asking God to forgive us and be kind to us.
5. The man found a friend who owed him money. The friend didn’t have the money to give to the man. What did the friend say to the man?
6. Did the man have mercy on his friend?
7. The king was mad when he heard the news. Who was he mad at?
8. Our father in heaven is like the king. He will forgive us if we forgive those who hurt us. Who have you forgiven?
"Thank you very much for your tremendous efforts in delivering the words of our Lord Jesus Christ in such a fruitful compilation of podcasts. I am an Orthodox Christian from the Kuwait Parish. Learning from Ancient Faith Radio has elevated my input into our church. On the personal level, you brought me closer to our Lord. I now understand how to live my daily life as an Orthodox Christian."