December 15, 2013: Luke 14:16-24, Told for Younger Children
December 08, 2013 Length: 3:19
One day, Jesus told a parable. (A parable is a story with a special meaning.) He said, “Once a man gave a big banquet. (A banquet is a big meal.) He invited many people to come to the banquet.
“The day of the banquet came. The man sent his servant to tell the people who were invited that the banquet was ready and they should come. The servant went all over town to talk to all the people who had been invited.
“Every person had an excuse. One said he had to watch over his new field. Another said he wanted to go see the animals he had just bought. A third had just gotten married and couldn’t come.
“None of the invited people would come to the banquet!
“When the servant told his master this, the man was angry. He told the servant to go out into the streets and alleys of the city. He said his servant should bring the poor, the hurt, the blind, and those who couldn’t walk.
“The servant did that, but there was still room for more people. When he told his master, the man said, ‘Then go to the highways and make the people come in! I want my house to be full! And none of those that I invited will eat this banquet. For many are called, but few are chosen.’”
1. In the story Jesus told, a man gave a great banquet. Have you ever been to a banquet? What happens at a banquet?
2. The master had a servant. What was the first thing he asked the servant to do?
3. Did the invited people come to the banquet? Why, or why not?
4. Who came to the banquet? Was there still room after they came?
5. What did the master say then?
6. The story ends with the master saying, “Many are called, but few are chosen.” This is to teach us a lesson. God wants everyone in the kingdom, to live with Him forever. When we come to Holy Communion each Sunday, we come to the banquet of our Lord. We should not have excuses, like, “I want to stay home and relax.” God wants us to come to church. We must be sure to say “yes” to God.
"Just so wonderfull listening to this blessed music. Really, REALLY delightful for the soul. I accidently found this sweet oasis."