December 18, 2011: Matthew 1:1-25, Told for Younger Children
Antiochian Archdiocese Department of Christian Education · December 12, 2011
The earthly family of our Lord Jesus Christ is listed in this part of God’s Word. From our Lord all the way back to Abraham, His grandparents, great-grandparents, and great-great-grandparents are listed. Our Lord Jesus had many family members who lived on this earth before He did.
Some of Jesus’ relatives were Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob. Boaz, Jesse, King David, and Solomon are also in Christ’s earthly family. Hezekiah, Josiah, and Jacob, the father of Joseph, are his family too.
Joseph was special because God chose him to take care of Mary and Jesus. An angel told Joseph in a dream that Mary would have a baby that was the Son of God. The angel told Joseph to call the baby Jesus. “Jesus” means “Savior”.
Joseph obeyed the angel. He took care of Mary. He named the baby Jesus. Jesus is God’s Son, and He also had a human family.
1. What are the names of your grandparents?
2. Do you know the names of your great-grandparents?
3. The word that means your family who lived before you is, “ancestors.”
4. We read names of some of Jesus’ ancestors. Can you name one?
5. Did Jesus have any ancestors who were kings?
6. The Israelites knew that the savior would be born from the family of a king. The gospel tells us that Jesus was from the family of King David.