December 25, 2011: Matthew 2:1-2, Read for Older Children
December 19, 2011 Length: 3:14
When Jesus was born in Bethlehem of Judea in the days of Herod the king, behold wise men from the East came to Jerusalem, saying, “Where is he who has been born king of the Jews? For we have seen his star in the East, and have come to worship him.”
When Herod the king heard this, he was troubled, and all Jerusalem with him; and assembling all the chief priests and scribes of the people, he inquired of them where the Christ was to be born. They told him, “In Bethlehem of Judea; for so it is written by the prophet: ‘And you, O Bethlehem, in the land of Judah, are by no means least among the rulers of Judah; for from you shall come a ruler who will govern my people Israel.’”
Then Herod summoned the wise men secretly and ascertained from them what time the star appeared; and he sent them to Bethlehem, saying, “Go and search diligently for the child, and when you have found him bring me word, that I too may come and worship him.”
When they had heard the king they went their way; and lo, the star which they had seen in the East went before them, till it came to rest over the place where the child was. When they saw the star, they rejoiced exceedingly with great joy; and going into the house they saw the child with Mary his mother, and they fell down and worshiped him. Then, opening their treasures, they offered him gifts, gold, and frankincense and myrrh.
And being warned in a dream not to return to Herod, they departed to their own country by another way.
1. Where do the chief priests and scribes tell Herod the Christ will be born?
2. Who does the prophet say will come from Bethlehem?
3. Where does the first sentence in this Gospel say Jesus was born?
4. What does his birth in Bethlehem tell us about Jesus?
5. How do you think the wise men felt when they saw Jesus? What makes you think so?
6. Why do you think the wise men gave gifts to Jesus?
7. If you had been there, what would you have given Him? Why?
"Our family has been abundantly blessed by your ministry and the variety of podcasts available. Thank you for your commitment to Christian broadcasting."