The beginning of the gospel of Jesus Christ, the Son of God.
As it is written in the prophets, “Behold, I send my messenger before thy face, who shall prepare thy way; the voice of one crying in the wilderness: Prepare the way of the Lord, make his paths straight.”
John the baptizer appeared in the wilderness, preaching a baptism of repentance for the forgiveness of sins. And there went out to him all the country of Judea, and all the people of Jerusalem; and they were baptized by him in the river Jordan, confessing their sins. Now John was clothed with camel’s hair, and had a leather girdle around his waist, and ate locusts and wild honey.
And he preached, saying, “After me comes he who is mightier than I, the thong of whose sandals I am not worthy to stoop down and untie. I have baptized you with water: but he will baptize you with the Holy Spirit.”
1. Who/what did God say would be sent? Why?
2. What would the voice say?
3. Who was God talking about? Did he come?
4. Why did people go out into the wilderness to see John?
5. Describe John’s lifestyle. Would you want to live as he did? Why or why not?
6. Who did John preach about?
7. In the baptismal service, we see what John talked about so many years ago… Baptism with water and with the Holy Spirit! First, the person being baptized is baptized in water, then they are chrismated with holy oil. When the priest is chrismating the person, he says, “The seal of the Holy Spirit…” and everyone else says, “Seal!”