January 6, 2013: Matthew 3:13-17, Told for Younger Children
Antiochian Archdiocese Department of Christian Education · December 31, 2012
Audio length: 2:11
One day, our Lord Jesus Christ went from Galilee to the Jordan River. Jesus went to see John, to ask him to baptize Him.
John did not want to baptize Jesus. He told Jesus, “I should not baptize You. You should be the One to baptize me!”
But Jesus said that John should baptize Him because it was the right thing to do. So John baptized Jesus. As soon as Jesus came up out of the water, the sky opened up and God’s Spirit came down. The Spirit looked like a dove. It rested on Jesus.
At the same time, a voice from Heaven said, “This is my Son that I love. I am very pleased with Him.”
1. Where does our Lord go in this story? Why does He go there?
2. Did John want to baptize Jesus? Did he baptize Him?
3. What happened when Jesus came up from the water?
4. Theophany is when we celebrate Jesus’ baptism. When were you baptized?
5. Have you ever seen someone else be baptized? Tell about it.