July 14, 2013: Matthew 5:14-19, Read for Older Children
July 08, 2013 Length: 2:43
The Lord said to his disciples, “You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hid. Nor do men light a lamp and put it under a bushel, but on a stand, and it gives light to all in the house.
Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father who is in heaven. Think not that I have come to abolish the law and the prophets; I have come not to abolish them but to fulfill them. For truly, I say to you, till heaven and earth pass away, not an iota, not a dot, will pass from the law until all is accomplished.
Whoever then relaxes one of the least of these commandments and teaches men so, shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven; but he who does them and teaches them shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.”
1. Today we celebrate the Holy Fathers of the fourth ecumenical council. Ask an adult from your church family what these fathers said about Jesus.
2.What have you learned about Jesus at church? Ask someone at church how your church community learned that these things about Jesus were true.
3. Today’s gospel says “you are the light of the world.” What does a light of the world do?
4. How were the fathers of the fourth ecumenical council a light to the world?
5. How was your patron saint a light to the world?
6. What can you do this week to be a light to the world?