July 1, 2012: Matthew 8:5-13, Read for Older Children
June 25, 2012 Length: 3:04
At that time, Jesus entered Capernaum, and a centurion came forward to him, beseeching him and saying, “Lord, my servant is lying paralyzed at home, in terrible distress.” And Jesus said to him, “I will come and heal him.”
But the centurion answered him, “Lord, I am not worthy to have you come under my roof; but only say the word, and my servant will be healed. For I am a man under authority, with soldiers under me; and I say to one, ‘Go,’ and he goes, and to another, ‘Come,’ and he comes, and to my slave, ‘Do this,’ and he does it.”
When Jesus heard him, he marveled, and said to those who were following him, “Truly, I say to you, not even in Israel have I found such faith. I tell you, many will come from east and west and sit at table with Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob in the kingdom of heaven, while the sons of the kingdom will be thrown into the outer darkness; there men will weep and gnash their teeth.” And to the centurion Jesus said, “Go; be it done for you as you have believed.” And the servant was healed at that very moment.
1. Who came to ask Jesus for healing? What kind of work did he do?
2. For whom did he ask Jesus for healing? What kind of man do you think the centurion was? Would you have liked to know him? Why or why not?
3. How does the centurion show that he had faith that Jesus could heal his servant?
4. What do you think Jesus meant when He said, “many will come from east and west and sit at a table with Abraham, Isaac and Jacob in the kingdom of heaven…?” Who was He talking about?
5. Was the servant healed? When?
6. What can we learn about faith from this Gospel? Look for chances to practice your faith today!
"May our great Lord and God and Savior Jesus Christ continue to bless you with His grace and inspire you to keep the Holy Orthodox Christian Faith alive in the newness of life. Your podcasts enrich my life so much, and I believe you're blazing trails and building new connections for both converts and cradle Orthodox Christians alike. We are so fortunate to have Ancient Faith here to help us deepen our relationship with Christ and His body the Church. Thank you so much"