July 21, 2013: Matthew 8:5-13, Read for Older Children
July 15, 2013 Length: 3:05
At that time, Jesus entered Capernaum, and a centurion came forward to him, beseeching him and saying, “Lord, my servant is lying paralyzed at home, in terrible distress.” And Jesus said to him, “I will come and heal him.”
But the centurion answered him, “Lord, I am not worthy to have you come under my roof; but only say the word, and my servant will be healed. For I am a man under authority, with soldiers under me; and I say to one, ‘Go,’ and he goes, and to another, ‘Come,’ and he comes, and to my slave, ‘Do this,’ and he does it.”
When Jesus heard him, he marveled, and said to those who were following him, “Truly, I say to you, not even in Israel have I found such faith. I tell you, many will come from east and west and sit at table with Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob in the kingdom of heaven, while the sons of the kingdom will be thrown into the outer darkness; there men will weep and gnash their teeth.” And to the centurion Jesus said, “Go; be it done for you as you have believed.” And the servant was healed at that very moment.
1. What is a centurion? What does the centurion in this story tell us about himself? What does the dictionary say a centurion is?
2. Who can you think of who has a lot of power and is in charge of a lot of people like the centurion? Can you imagine that person coming and asking you to help him or her? Why or why not?
3. Do you think it is normal or strange for a Roman centurion to ask a Jew for help? Why?
4. What does this say about the centurion? What does Jesus think about this man asking him for help?
5. What do you think you could do today that would take great faith like this centurion’s?
"I don't think it's a stretch to say that I've spent HUNDREDS of hours listening to AFR over the past 8-9 months. I have not had an AFR-free commute for many, many months! To say that AFR has played a crucial role in my journey would be an understatement. Without the ministry of AFR, it's safe to say that I would not have the clarity and confidence to move forward into the next phase of the journey that God has for me. I just want you all to know—the AFR folks on the ground and the Priests, Monastics, and Laypeople that provide content for the podcasts—that you're doing a great, God-ordained work that is having an amazing impact."