Let Us Attend:
At that time, Jesus lifted up his eyes to heaven and said, “Father, the hour has come; glorify thy Son that thy Son may glorify thee, since thou hast given him power over all flesh, to give eternal life to all whom thou hast given him. And this is eternal life, that they know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom thou hast sent. I glorified thee on earth, having accomplished the work which you gave me to do; and now, Father, glorify thou me with thine own self with the glory which I had with thee before the world was.
“I have manifested thy name to the men whom thou gavest me out of the world; thine they were, and thou gavest them to me, and they have kept thy word. Now they know that everything that thou hast given me is from thee; for I have given them the words which thou gavest me, and they have received them and know in truth that I came from thee; and they have believed that thou didst send me. I am praying for them; I am not praying for the world but for those whom thou hast given me, for they are thine; all mine are thine, and thine are mine, and I am glorified in them.
“And now I am no more in the world, but they are in the world, and I am coming to thee. Holy Father, keep them in thy name, which thou hast given me, that they may be one, even as we are. While I was with them in the world, I kept them in thy name, which thou hast given me; I have guarded them, and none of them is lost but the son of perdition, that the scripture might be fulfilled. But now I am coming to thee; and these things I speak in the world, that they may have my joy fulfilled in themselves.”
1. Jesus says some form of the word glory several times in this gospel. What does that word mean? How would you glorify someone if you wanted to?
2. What does Jesus ask His Father to do for him?
3. How did Jesus glorify the Father on earth, according to this gospel?
4. What does Jesus say He did while He was on earth?
5. What do you think He means when He says He “made Your name known to those whom You gave Me?” How do you think He made His Father’s name known?
6. How do you think this glorifies the Father?
7. What can you do to glorify the Father like Jesus did?