The Lord said, “If anyone would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross and follow me. For whoever would save his life will lose it; and whoever loses his life for my sake and the gospel’s will save it.
“For what does it profit a man, to gain the whole world and forfeit his soul? For what can a man give in return for his soul? For whoever is ashamed of me and my words in this adulterous and sinful generation, of him will the Son of man also be ashamed, when he comes in the glory of his Father with the holy angels.”
And Jesus said to them, “Truly, I say to you, there are some standing here who will not taste death before they see the kingdom of God come with power.”
1. What does our Lord say we should do if we want to come after Him?
2. What does Jesus say will happen if we lose our lives for His sake and the Gospel’s sake? What do you think this means?
3. What does Jesus say is more important—the world or a person’s soul?
4. Who will the Son of Man be ashamed of when He comes in glory?
5. Have you ever been ashamed of Christ or of being a Christian? Remember this Gospel the next time you are tempted to be ashamed of our Lord or the Church!