March 27, 2011: Mark 8:34-9:1, Told for Younger Children
March 21, 2011 Length: 2:22
One day, our Lord Jesus taught his followers that whoever wants to follow Him should not just do whatever they want to do. Instead, they should do what God wants them to, even if it is very hard. He said that those who do things God’s way will be saved.
He reminded His followers that, even if they got everything in the whole world, they would not have anything as important as their souls. He also reminded them not to be ashamed to follow Him. He said that when He comes again, He will be ashamed of anyone who was ashamed of Him while they lived on Earth.
Then He promised that some of his followers would live to see God’s Kingdom come with power!
Here are some questions about the Gospel story:
1. Have you ever played “Follow the Leader?” What does a follower do?
2. If the leader does something hard, like crawling under a table, what does the follower do?
3. We follow Jesus. Jesus is our leader.
4. Jesus told us what we should not do. Can you think of something you should not do?
5. Jesus also told us what we should do. Can you think of some things we should do?
6. Jesus came to show us how to live. Jesus died on a cross and rose from the dead. He opened the gates of heaven.
7. When we make the sign of the cross, we remind ourselves that we must do the right thing, and we must stay close to Jesus.
"You have been a blessing to me in ways that words cannot possibly explain. For this I'm indebted to you for life already, for in your podcasts you have unlocked the beauty of Orthodox Christianity that has been reflected for over two thousand years. As I listen to your commentaries, my soul is moved because I reflect on the true meaning of what it means to be a christian in the light of the apostles and compare my own state of unworthiness to that which I aspire to become."