Let Us Attend:
At that time, when Jesus returned to Caper’na-um after some days, it was reported that he was at home. And many were gathered together, so that there was no longer room for them, not even about the door; and he was preaching the word to them. And they came, bringing to Jesus a paralytic carried by four men. And when they could not get near Jesus because of the crowd, they removed the roof above him; and when they had made an opening, they let down the pallet on which the paralytic lay.
And when Jesus saw their faith, he said to the paralytic, “Son, your sins are forgiven.” Now some of the scribes were sitting there, reasoning in their hearts, “Why does this man speak thus? It is a blasphemy! Who can forgive sins but God alone?” And immediately Jesus, perceiving in his spirit that they thus reasoned within themselves, said to them, “Why do you reason thus in your hearts? Which is easier, to say to the paralytic, ‘Your sins are forgiven,’ or to say, ‘Rise, take up your pallet and walk? But that you may know that the Son of man has authority on earth to forgive sins”—he said to the paralytic—”I say to you, rise, take up your pallet and go home.”
And he rose, and immediately took up the pallet and went out before them all; so that they were all amazed and glorified God, saying, “We never saw anything like this!”
1. Why do you think people go stand outside of a hotel in order to catch a glimpse of a rock star? What do you think they hope to gain? What needs are they trying to meet?
2. Do you think seeing this star fills those needs?
3. Why do you think the people in this gospel crowded into a room to see and hear Jesus? What needs do you think these people were trying to fill?
4. Do you think Jesus can fill those needs? Why or why not?
5. If Jesus can meet those needs, what needs do you have that Jesus can meet?