One day, our Lord Jesus Christ went back to Caper’na-um. People found out that He was there and came to the house where He was. They all crowded in as close as they could. The house was packed! Everyone wanted to hear Jesus preaching.
Four men brought their friend who could not move by himself. They knew Jesus could help him. Because the house was so full of people, the four men could not get in the door. They really wanted their friend to get to Jesus, so they climbed onto the roof of the house. They took off part of the roof right over Jesus. Then, they lowered their friend to Him through the hole.
Jesus saw their faith and told the man, “Your sins are forgiven.”
Some scribes were sitting in the crowd. When they heard this, they thought to themselves, “Why does this Man talk like that? How dare He say that? Only God can forgive sins!”
Jesus knew what they were thinking and said, “What is easier to say, ‘Your sins are forgiven,’ or ‘Get up, pick up your mat and walk’? But so you all can know that I can forgive sins.…” He turned to the man and said, “Get up, pick up your mat, and walk!”
The man who could not move got right up, picked up his mat, and walked out of that house! Everyone who saw the miracle was amazed and praised God. They said, “We never saw anything like this!”
1. Imagine a home made of mud brick, with a roof made from sticks and mud. Now imagine Jesus teaching the people crowded inside…
2. Why couldn’t the paralytic, and his friends, come in through the door?
3. Where did they go because they couldn’t walk in?
4. What did Jesus say when He saw the man?
5. What did Jesus do to show He was God?