May 5, 2013: John 1:1-17, Read for Older Children
April 29, 2013 Length: 3:38
In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was in the beginning with God; all things were made through him, and without him was not anything made that was made. In him was life, and the life was the light of men. The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it.
There was a man sent from God, whose name was John. He came for testimony, to bear witness to the light, that all might believe through him. He was not the light, but was to bear witness to the light.
The true light that enlightens every man was coming into the world. He was in the world, and the world was made through him, yet the world knew him not. He came to his own, and his own received him not. But to all who received him, who believed in his name, he gave power to become children of God; who were born, not of blood nor of the will of the flesh nor of the will of man, but of God.
And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, full of grace and truth; we have beheld his glory, glory as of the only Son from the Father. [John bore witness to him, and cried, “This is he of whom I said, ‘he who comes after me ranks before me, for he was before me.’”] And from his fullness have we all received, grace upon grace. For the law was given through Moses; grace and truth came through Jesus Christ.
1. Who was present when everything came into being?
2. Who was present in the beginning with God?
3. Were you present at the beginning with God? Did you help make the world? Do you know anyone who did?
4. What is the name of the person who was present at all of these things? (Hint: it’s the very last words of this Gospel.)
5. What does that tell us about Jesus Christ? Who is Jesus?
6. What do we celebrate on Pascha? What do we say about Jesus on Pascha?
7. Why do you think we read this gospel on Pascha?