November 10, 2013: Luke 10:25-37, Read for Older Children
Antiochian Archdiocese Department of Christian Education · November 3, 2013
Audio length: 3:21
At that time, a lawyer stood up to put Jesus to the test, saying, “Teacher, what shall I do to inherit eternal life?” Jesus said to him, “What is written in the law? How do you read?” And the lawyer answered, “You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind; and your neighbor as yourself.” And Jesus said to him, “You have answered right; do this, and you will live.”
But the lawyer, desiring to justify himself, said to Jesus, “And who is my neighbor?” Jesus replied, “A man was going down from Jerusalem to Jericho, and he fell among robbers, who stripped him and beat him, and departed, leaving him half dead. Now by chance a priest was going down that road; and when he saw him he passed by on the other side. So likewise a Levite, when he came to the place and saw him, passed by on the other side. But a Samaritan, as he journeyed, came to where he was; and when he saw him, he had compassion, and went to him and bound up his wounds, pouring on oil and wine, then set him on his own beast and brought him to an inn, and took care of him. And the next day he took out two denarii and gave them to the innkeeper, saying, ‘Take care of him; and whatever more you spend, I will repay you when I come back.’ Which of these three, do you think, proved neighbor to the man who fell among the robbers?” The lawyer said, “The one who showed mercy on him.” And Jesus said to him, “Go and do likewise.”
1. Who asks Jesus a question? What does he want to know?
2. What does a lawyer do? What does a lawyer have to know about in order to become a lawyer?
3. Why do you think Jesus asks the lawyer what the law says?
4. What does this suggest about how God relates to human beings?
5. What questions do you want to ask God? What do you think God would say in response to those questions?Do you think he would give you an answer?
6. How can you discover the answers to those questions?