November 11, 2012: Luke 10:25-37, Read for Older Children
November 04, 2012 Length: 3:27
At that time, a lawyer stood up to put Jesus to the test, saying, “Teacher, what shall I do to inherit eternal life?” Jesus said to him, “What is written in the law? How do you read?” And the lawyer answered, “You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind; and your neighbor as yourself.” And Jesus said to him, “You have answered right; do this, and you will live.”
But the lawyer, desiring to justify himself, said to Jesus, “And who is my neighbor?” Jesus replied, “A man was going down from Jerusalem to Jericho, and he fell among robbers, who stripped him and beat him, and departed, leaving him half dead. Now by chance a priest was going down that road; and when he saw him he passed by on the other side. So likewise a Levite, when he came to the place and saw him, passed by on the other side. But a Samaritan, as he journeyed, came to where he was; and when he saw him, he had compassion, and went to him and bound up his wounds, pouring on oil and wine, then set him on his own beast and brought him to an inn, and took care of him. And the next day he took out two denarii and gave them to the innkeeper, saying, ‘Take care of him; and whatever more you spend, I will repay you when I come back.’ Which of these three, do you think, proved neighbor to the man who fell among the robbers?” The lawyer said, “The one who showed mercy on him.” And Jesus said to him, “Go and do likewise.”
1. Who asks Jesus a question?
2. What does a lawyer need to know a lot about in order to do his or her job?
3. The lawyer in this gospel would have known a lot about the law God gave to his people through Moses. Can you list any of the commandments God gave to Moses? (Hint: check Exodus 20:1-17)
4. How does the lawyer summarize the law?
5. How did Jesus answer the question, “And who is my neighbor?”
6. What can you do this week to show that you love God with all your heart? How can you show that you love your neighbor as yourself?
7. Challenge yourself to be like the Samaritan—helping others you see who need help, even if they are unkind or different from you.
"Ancient Faith Radio is a massive blessing in my life! I listen every day as I work. Working from home allows me to listen as I please! The information given and selection of speakers are nothing less than excellent! I am not yet an Orthodox Christian, but after three years with the Church Fathers as my companions, and then AFR in my ear for nearly a year, my wife, three children, and I are anticipating our entrance into the Church. May Jesus Christ be praised for all the work you are doing. God bless you all!"