November 21, 2010: Luke 10:38-42, 11:27-28, Read for Older Children
November 15, 2010 Length: 2:48
At that time, Jesus entered a village; and a woman named Martha received him into her house. And she had a sister called Mary, who sat at Jesus’ feet and listened to his teaching. But Martha was distracted with much serving; and she went to Jesus and said, “Lord, do you not care that my sister has left me to serve alone? Tell her then to help me.” But Jesus answered her, “Martha, Martha, you are anxious and troubled about many things; one thing is needful. Mary has chosen the good portion, which shall not be taken away from her.”
As Jesus said this, a woman in the crowd raised her voice and said to him, “Blessed is the womb that bore you, and the breasts that you sucked!” But Jesus said, “Blessed rather are those who hear the word of God and keep it.”
1. Who received Jesus into her house? What did she like to do?
2. Who else lived there? What was she known for?
3. What problem did Martha have with her sister? Have you ever had a problem like that with a sibling or friend? What did you do?
4. Did Jesus respond to Martha as she expected? What answer did He give to her?
5. Who did Jesus say are blessed? Why do you think that is true?
6. This Gospel talks a lot about listening to the word of God, and doing it. Think about your life. How well are you doing this? What can you do to improve? Talk with your priest, your parents, Godparents, or Sunday Church School teachers about it. They will be glad to help you!
"Our family has loved AFR and it has been a big blessing. It's constantly on in the car, at work, and at home. We especially enjoy it for our journey to attend services at our parish. It's excellent for getting your mind and spirit ready for worship. Even our 4-year-old daughter asks us to "play that church music!" The talk shows and podcasts are very informative, and we like the wide range of topics covered."