At that time, a man came testing Jesus and asking, “Good Teacher, what shall I do to inherit eternal life?” And Jesus said to him, “Why do you call me good? No one is good but God alone. You know the commandments: ‘Do not commit adultery, Do not kill, Do not steal, Do not bear false witness, Honor your father and mother.’” And the man said, “All these I have observed from my youth.” And when Jesus heard it, he said to him, “One thing you still lack. Sell all that you have and distribute to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow me.”
But when the man heard this he became sad, for he was very rich. Jesus, seeing him sad, said, “How hard it is for those who have riches to enter the kingdom of God! For it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God.”
Those who heard it said, “Then who can be saved?” But Jesus said, “What is impossible with men is possible with God.”
1. What does the rich man call Jesus?
2. If Jesus says God is good (God = good) and the man says Jesus is good (Jesus = good), then who is Jesus (Jesus = ?)?
3. If God is good, who are you like when you do a good thing?
4. Is it enough to be good just by keeping the commandments? What else should we do, according to Jesus? Is that easy, or hard?
5. How can we have treasure in Heaven?
6. Where would you like your treasure to be? What are you doing about it?