Let Us Attend:
One day, our Lord Jesus told a parable, a story with special meaning. He said, “A farmer went to plant seeds in his field. Some seeds fell on the path. They were stepped on and birds ate them. Some seeds fell on rocks. They started to grow, but soon wilted because there wasn’t enough water for them. Some seeds fell in weeds. Thorns grew on the weeds and killed the baby plants. Some seeds fell on good soil. They grew well and gave a big crop.”
Jesus’ disciples asked Him what the parable meant. He said, “The seed is God’s word. The places in the story where the seed fell are people who hear God’s words. The path in the parable is like people who hear God’s words, but the devil comes and takes the words away so the people do not obey God. The rocks are people who hear God’s words and are happy. But they only believe God for a little, and then stop. The thorny place is like people who hear God’s words but start thinking about stuff on earth instead of about God. But the good soil is the people who hear God’s words and obey them.”
1. Have you ever planted a seed? What did you need to do after your planted it? What helped it grow?
2. In this parable, a farmer plants seeds four times. Each time something different happens because of the ground. What happened to the seeds that fell by the side of the road? On the rocky dirt? Among the weeds?
3. The last time the farmed sowed seeds, what kind of ground was it?
4. In this parable, the seeds are God’s teachings.
5. The good soil is the heart of a person who wants to follow Jesus.
5. Jesus told this parable because He wants us to learn something. What does Jesus want us to know?