October 16, 2011: Luke 8:5-15, Read for Older Children
October 10, 2011 Length: 4:17
The Lord spoke this parable, “A sower went out to sow his seed; and as he sowed, some fell along the path, and was trodden under foot, and the birds of the air devoured it. And some fell on the rock; and as it grew up, it withered away, because it had no moisture. And some feel among thorns; and the thorns grew with it and choked it. And some fell into good soil and grew, and yielded a hundredfold.” And when his disciples asked him what this parable meant, Jesus said, “To you it has been given to know the secrets of the kingdom of God; but for other they are in parables, so that seeing they may not see, and hearing they may not understand.
“Now the parable is this: The seed is the word of God. The ones along the path are those who have heard; then the devil comes and takes away the word from their hearts, that they may not believe and be saved. And the ones on the rock those who, when they hear the word, receive it with joy; but these have no root, they believe for a while and in time of temptation fall away.
“And as for what fell among the thorns, they are those who hear, but as they go on their way they are choked by the cares and riches and pleasures of life, and their fruit does not mature.
“And for that in the good soil, they are those who, hearing the word, hold it fast in an honest and good heart, and bring forth fruit with patience.” As Jesus said this, he called out, “He who has ears to hear, let him hear.”
1. What does a plant need to grow? What kind of soil does a plant need? Does it need water? How much? Does it need sunshine? How much? Does it need warm weather or cold weather? How do you know this about plants?
2. Do you think it is easy to grow a plant or difficult to grow a plant? Why do you say that?
3. If someone tells me my heart is like a hard rock what does he mean? If someone tells you your heart is like soft fertile soil what does she mean?
4. At school your teacher tries to plant seeds of information in you like the sower in this Gospel. How can you make your mind fertile soil for that seed? What kinds of things do you do at school to help learn the things your teacher is teaching you? (Examples: practice, homework, take time to think about it, be patient when it is hard to understand, listen to the teacher, pay attention to the teacher)
5. If God is our teacher, sowing seeds of his message in us, how can we make our minds and souls fertile soil for his teachings? What kinds of things do we do at church to practice being good gardeners tending the plant God has planted in us? What do we do at home to practice being good gardeners? (Examples: pray, read scripture, be merciful the way God is merciful, help others, etc.)
"Thank you so much for all you do. It is immeasurable in terms of sustenance! It is an oasis in the desert when we search for clear understanding and we come up against soundbites and folk tales! May God bless you."