One day, an important man came to see Jesus. His name was Jairus and he was the ruler of the synagogue. He fell down at Jesus’ feet and begged Jesus to come to his house. His only daughter, who was 12, was dying.
Jesus began to walk to Jairus’ house. Everyone was crowding around Him.
A woman was in the crowd who had been sick for 12 years and had spent all her money on doctors but was still sick. She squeezed in behind Jesus and touched the hem of his clothes. She knew right away that she was healed!
Jesus said, “Who touched me?” Peter said, “There are so many people around you. Why do you want to know who touched you?” Jesus said, “I know someone touched Me because I felt power go out from Me.”
The woman was afraid. She fell down in front of Jesus and told Him she had touched Him so she could be healed. She told Him that she was healed. He said, “Because you believed in Me, you are healed. Go in peace.”
While Jesus was still talking, a man came to Jairus and told him, “Your daughter died. You don’t need Jesus’ help anymore.”
Jesus told Jairus, “Don’t be afraid, just believe and she’ll be well.” He kept going to the house.
When He got to Jairus’ house, Jesus only let Peter, James, John, Jairus, and his wife inside. They were crying. Jesus told them not to cry because the girl was just sleeping. The others laughed when Jesus said that, because she was dead.
Then Jesus took her hand and said, “Little girl, get up!” A miracle happened! She got up right away. Jesus asked that someone get her some food. Then He asked her parents not to tell anyone what had happened.
1. Why was Jairus an important man? What kind of work did he do?
2. Even though he was important, he asked Jesus for help. How did he do that?
3. How old was Jairus’ daughter? Do you know anyone that age? Who?
4. Something interrupted Jesus’ walk to Jairus’ house. What happened?
5. After Jesus healed the sick woman, a man came to talk to Jairus. What did he say?
6. What did Jesus tell Jairus? What did he tell Jairus’ daughter?
7. We can ask Jesus for help too when we pray. He hears us and will help us.