One day, a lawyer came to ask our Lord Jesus Christ a question. Lawyers are very smart and know a lot about laws and rules, and this lawyer wanted to use what he knew to try to trick the Lord Jesus. He asked Jesus, “Which commandment is the greatest one in the law?” Jesus answered, “You should love the Lord your God with all of your heart, and with all of your soul, and with all of your mind. This is the first commandment. It is also the greatest one. But the second one is like it. The second one says you should love your neighbor as much as you love yourself. All the other laws depend on these two.” While the Pharisees were gathered together, Jesus asked them, “What do you think of the Christ? Whose son do you think he is?” The Pharisees answered, “He is the son of David!” Jesus said, “Well, then, why does David call him Lord? Remember how King David said, ‘the Lord said to my Lord, sit at my right hand, till I make your enemies your footstool!’? So, if David calls the Christ his Lord, how can He be David’s son?” The Pharisees did not know how to answer Jesus, so they did not say anything. In fact, from that day, on, they did not even dare to ask Him any questions!
1. In this Gospel story, who came to talk to Our Lord? Why did he come?
2. What did he ask the Lord Jesus?
3. What did Jesus tell him?
4. When Jesus asked the Pharisees a question, what did they answer him?
5. Who did Jesus say called the Christ, “Lord”? What does that mean?
6. Did the lawyer and the Pharisees keep on asking Jesus questions? Why or why not?
7. If you could ask the Lord Jesus a question, what would you ask Him?