What Icons Do
February 08, 2011 Length: 1:01
Constantine Cavarnos on the seven functions performed by holy icons.
Many people appreciate the wonderful art of Orthodox iconography, but Constantine Cavarnos tells us that icons have seven spiritual functions:
(1) To enhance the beauty of a church with a beauty that has the impress of holiness.
(2) To instruct us in matters pertaining to the Orthodox Christian faith.
(3) To remind us of this teaching.
(4) To lift us up to the prototypes, to the holy personages whom the icons depict.
(5) To arouse us to imitate the virtues of these personages.
(6) To help transform us, to sanctify us.
(7) To serve as a means of worshipping God and venerating His saints.
"Ancient Faith Radio has had a significant impact on my journey into Orthodoxy. I love the daily readings as well as many of the ongoing podcasts. You have made many of the writings and teachings of the Church Fathers much more accessible. Thank you!"