What Icons Do
February 08, 2011 Length: 1:01
Constantine Cavarnos on the seven functions performed by holy icons.
Many people appreciate the wonderful art of Orthodox iconography, but Constantine Cavarnos tells us that icons have seven spiritual functions:
(1) To enhance the beauty of a church with a beauty that has the impress of holiness.
(2) To instruct us in matters pertaining to the Orthodox Christian faith.
(3) To remind us of this teaching.
(4) To lift us up to the prototypes, to the holy personages whom the icons depict.
(5) To arouse us to imitate the virtues of these personages.
(6) To help transform us, to sanctify us.
(7) To serve as a means of worshipping God and venerating His saints.
"I have recently been getting to know the Orthodox faith through reading. As I have no Orthodox community or Church near me, Ancient Faith Radio has had to fill that gap, and it does so well. AFR truly provides me with a spiritual boost, and it has allowed me to experience communion with others of the Faith."