What Icons Do
February 08, 2011 Length: 1:01
Constantine Cavarnos on the seven functions performed by holy icons.
Many people appreciate the wonderful art of Orthodox iconography, but Constantine Cavarnos tells us that icons have seven spiritual functions:
(1) To enhance the beauty of a church with a beauty that has the impress of holiness.
(2) To instruct us in matters pertaining to the Orthodox Christian faith.
(3) To remind us of this teaching.
(4) To lift us up to the prototypes, to the holy personages whom the icons depict.
(5) To arouse us to imitate the virtues of these personages.
(6) To help transform us, to sanctify us.
(7) To serve as a means of worshipping God and venerating His saints.
"Thank you for your ministry! The Path, Saint of the Day, and The Morning Offering are part of my daily devotions. I am growing in the Orthodox faith as a direct result of your faithful ministry. May God grant you great mercy!"