What Icons Do
February 08, 2011 Length: 1:01
Constantine Cavarnos on the seven functions performed by holy icons.
Many people appreciate the wonderful art of Orthodox iconography, but Constantine Cavarnos tells us that icons have seven spiritual functions:
(1) To enhance the beauty of a church with a beauty that has the impress of holiness.
(2) To instruct us in matters pertaining to the Orthodox Christian faith.
(3) To remind us of this teaching.
(4) To lift us up to the prototypes, to the holy personages whom the icons depict.
(5) To arouse us to imitate the virtues of these personages.
(6) To help transform us, to sanctify us.
(7) To serve as a means of worshipping God and venerating His saints.
"I converted to the Eastern Church from the Baptist faith when I was 15 years old. I am now 63, a disabled Vietnam Veteran, and I listen to AFR every day. It is so nice to listen to the Liturgy and let God come into my heart and soul. I thank you for making that possible for me. God Bless You."