What Icons Do
February 08, 2011 Length: 1:01
Constantine Cavarnos on the seven functions performed by holy icons.
Many people appreciate the wonderful art of Orthodox iconography, but Constantine Cavarnos tells us that icons have seven spiritual functions:
(1) To enhance the beauty of a church with a beauty that has the impress of holiness.
(2) To instruct us in matters pertaining to the Orthodox Christian faith.
(3) To remind us of this teaching.
(4) To lift us up to the prototypes, to the holy personages whom the icons depict.
(5) To arouse us to imitate the virtues of these personages.
(6) To help transform us, to sanctify us.
(7) To serve as a means of worshipping God and venerating His saints.
"I am listener of Ancient Faith Radio for little over two years now. I cannot thank you enough for the wonderful podcasts you put up throughout the year! They are so very educational and informative and they have and continue to change my life! I started listening to Ancient Faith Radio as a Protestant, and through your ministry, I am now a full member of the Holy Orthodox Church! Glory to Jesus Christ! Glory Forever! "