SVS Liturgical Symposium
January 2009 9 episodes
The SVS International Liturgical Symposium took place on January 29-31, 2009. It featured preeminent theologians from Orthodox, Catholic, and Protestant traditions from major universities, and was held in honor of The Rt. Rev. Alexander Schmemann (d. 1983), who served as dean of St. Vladimir’s Seminary for more than twenty years. Fr. Schmemann is best known for his writings on liturgy and sacramental life, which have influenced all branches of Christianity, in the practice of worship as well as in the academic realm.
The keynote speaker was Robert F. Taft, S.J.
Other speakers include:
- The Rt. Rev. Archimandrite Job (Getcha)—former Dean of St. Sergius Theological Institute, Paris;
- The Rev. Dr. Stefanos Alexopoulos—Professor at the International Center for Hellenic and Mediterranean Studies, Athens, Greece;
- Sr. Vassa Larin, nun of the Russian Orthodox Church Abroad; currently teaching Liturgical Studies at the University of Vienna;
- Dr. Bryan D. Spinks—Professor of Liturgical Studies, Yale Divinity School;
- Dr. Michael Aune—Dean of the Faculty, Dean of the Chapel, Professor of Liturgical and Historical Studies at Pacific Lutheran Seminary, and Core Doctoral Faculty in Liturgical Studies at General Theological Union;
- Dr. David W. Fagerberg—Associate Professor in the Department of Theology, University of Notre Dame.
Read more about the Symposium here.